Seeking Front-End Developer, On Ownership Track
Join a creative team, building quality communication tools for clients who help people enjoy, learn about, and defend the natural world.
We are looking for someone experienced in front-end and back-end development of Drupal 7 and 8 websites. You’ll be building sites for clients working to connect people with the natural world and fight for justice.
Salary: $55,000 for approximately 40 hours per week (exempt employee). In our worker coop model, this starting salary is not negotiable.We base this salary at 85% of member owners' salaries to support time for getting up to speed over the first year. Once you become a member owner, the team will all re-assess what salary and benefits combination works best for us all.
Location: Work from anywhere within the U.S.
- Paid vacation/sick/parental days
- Computer and phone
- Working for clients who make the world better
Application Deadline: September 22nd
What You Will Do
Your average day could include:
- Coding a new Drupal website theme from a provided design, using Beanstalk for git repository management.
- Developing website functionality from an information architecture or list of feature requests. Functionality often includes complex views displays, and may include writing custom modules.
- Assisting other developers on the team by answering questions or collaborating to overcome challenges, potentially on several sites within a day.
- Performing code maintenance on Drupal and Wordpress sites.
- Server configuration work (not common).
- Learning new skills or volunteering for a project you want to help.
You will usually be the only developer on a site, collaborating with a project manager and designer, though our developers will assist each other with figuring out creative solutions to challenges. Most projects have development budgets between 10-250 hours. You may communicate directly with the client on some projects, but that will usually be handled by your project manager.
Who You Are
We are looking for applicants who already have this experience and interest:
- You expand our team’s skill base, and our values resonate with you.
- You are passionate about your craft. You take time to develop your skills and you love sharing them with someone eager to learn.
- You thrive in small teams, thinking creatively about the immediate needs, while holding a long term vision. You’re both game to lend a hand and to ask for support.
- You’re good at maintaining a work/life balance that is healthy for you. And if an urgent client need comes up and you have the capacity, you’re game to keep working on it after hours until you have a reasonable resolution.
- You have demonstrated experience to effectively build projects of our scale.
- Clients love your work and love working with you.
- You have the ability — and eye for detail — to accurately and efficiently translate a design into code.
- You have a passion and skillset to ensure websites that you build are accessible and fast.
- You have a strong background writing CSS and Sass using the BEM or similar naming structures.
- You are kind, and have a fire for justice.
Applicants should also have these skills, or a desire and demonstrated ability to learn them, with our support:
- You feel comfortable working within MySQL databases.
- You have experience building websites with Wordpress.
- You have researched and learned new technologies and introduced them to a team.
- You have additional skills, such constituent relationship management platforms, video production and editing, photography, illustration, graphic design, facilitation, new media, or writing.
Even if you aren’t a precise match for the skills and experience above, we welcome your application if you believe you’re right for this position.
Tamarack Media Cooperative is a five-person member-owned cooperative creating quality communication tools for organizations that help people enjoy, learn about, and defend the natural world. We love the strong relationships we’ve built with each other and with our clients and we are guided by these values. We’re looking to add two new members (check out our project manager job description) who share our goals for a fair and peaceful planet.
As we expand, we want to open space for people with under-represented identities within this field. Our current members identify as white, cis-gendered, and majority male. We are aware of our limited perspectives, experiences, and skills and believe that increasing diversityOur understanding of diversity includes the complexities of people’s identity and experience, including class and educational backgrounds, ages, geographies, politics, races, gender expressions, body abilities, sexualities, faiths, and more. within our team will expand our capacity to serve our clients and the movements at the forefront of changing our world for the better. We want to hire people who are excited to be part of a team that is actively striving to shift the default culture of white environmentalism within our own team and among our clients to an environmentalism that is actively anti-oppression.
Our members are each in our own locations at the moment (Burlington, VT / Minneapolis, MN / Terre Haute, IN / Roanoke, VA). We’re interested in new members currently living in one of these locations, but we are open to members in any U.S. location. We gather at one member’s location annually for a work/family retreat.
Cooperative Model and Compensation
All staff members are on track to become equal owners of the business. Owners have equal ownership and equal compensation, benefits, profit sharing, and governance responsibility. At one year of employment, we will determine if an offer of ownership will be made. We will provide clear expectations that, if met, will lead to an offer.
During the first year as a staff member, compensation is:
- $55,000 annual salary rate for approximately 40 hours per week.
- 28 paid vacation days and 7 sick days, with an additional 10 days for new parent or family emergency leave and the opportunity for additional unpaid leave.
- Full premium cost of health care plan roughly equivalent to the gold level for your full family.
- Compensation for shared office space or home office.
- Computer and phone.
- What skills and experience are you proud to bring to our team and our clients?
- What new things are you excited to learn?
- How does our Dismantle Systems of Oppression value resonate with you?
Tamarack Media Cooperative is committed to the principles of equal opportunity. Our organizational policies, practices, programs, activities and decisions regarding employment, hiring, assignment, compensation, internships and other terms and conditions of employment shall not be based on a person’s race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, mental or physical disability, ancestry, military discharge status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, source of income, parental status, housing status, or other protected status, in accordance with applicable law.
We encourage applications from equity-seeking groups, including LGBTQ+ people, Indigenous peoples, people of color, low-income earners and the unemployed, immigrants and refugees, and people with disabilities or another equity seeking group with which you identify.